Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Week 66 and to the mountains I go.

Hello my friends and families!!!!! Big news! After a whopping 6 months in the city of Modena, I'm out! I'll be going to the city of Pordenone!!! Back to my old zone where I served in Gorizia for 6
weeks. Lots of cool changes because I'll be a zone leader and we have a car... Plus, there is the American Air Force base down the road... So I'll have lots of access to American foods, which is a good and bad thing. Pordenone is awesome because it had an American ward and an Italian ward, plus there are water fountains and a gym in the building.... The only one in Italy with either of those! So I'm excited for the opportunity to serve there.



So along with being transferred comes the goodbyes, which before were never very bad because either I couldn't speak to people so I never got to know them or I was in the city for a short time so I never got to know them. But being in Modena for 6 months and being the oldest missionary here, I got to know a lot of really awesome members and investigators.

Monday night we had a little party with us, the sorelle, and our two new converts who were both baptized last transfer. They brought some gelato and we took some pictures and talked and it was so sad! He was so sad that I was leaving! I'm going to miss that guy so much! He's hilarious and weird and goofy and awesome and I love him. We will keep in contact and see him later, but for now I'm sad that I have to go.


Then today we said goodbye to our Bolivian friend who is getting baptized in a few days, on Saturday. He's been investigating for a month and doesn't know too much about missionaries so I think I shocked him when I said I was leaving. I don't think he knew that happened. So he was surprised and sad and grateful all at the same time. He is a really great, humble guy and I'll miss him, Luckily in a week, we have a conference in Modena so I'll get all the baptism pictures from Anz. Mattson then.

Then we said goodbye tonight to our Ghanian investigator. He was totally okay with it hahhaa. He was like, "well it is the Lord's work and if he wants you to go to Pordenone, then you better go!" Then at the end he offered this really amazing prayer asking God to protect me in my travel and make so everyone in Pordenone will accept the Gospel and treat us well. It was so awesome hahaha. I love him so much! It's been a sad few days having to say goodbye to everyone and there will be more tonight at our FHE in church. But it must happen! I've done what I could here and I'm content leaving it in the hands of Anz. Mattson and his new companion. They will do great.

So just a few small thoughts from this past week. First off, I FINISHED THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS!!!!! 12 days and 300 pages, done. I found all the motifs in it and it was quite interesting to see the most common phrases, words and topics. Mainly it was a lot about endowments, how Christ is the light in the darkness, how the word of God is sharper than a two edged sword, how the second coming is coming and the field being white and already to harvest. Missionary work, the
doctrine of Christ, temples, and humility. It was a really cool experience and I learned a lot of cool, interesting points of doctrine!

Then a couple things from the Book of Mormon this week in Helaman. So this Nephites by birth, Aminadab was in the jail with a bunch of other people when Nephi and Lehi are surrounded by fire and Aminadab and the others are surrounded by a cloud of darkness and they ask,
40 And it came to pass that the Lamanites said unto him: What shall we
do, that this cloud of darkness may be removed from overshadowing us?
41 And Aminadab said unto them: You must repent, and cry unto the
voice, even until ye shall have faith in Christ, who was taught unto
you by Alma, and Amulek, and Zeezrom; and when ye shall do this, the
cloud of darkness shall be removed from overshadowing you.
This cloud of darkness is a very real thing. It is the cloud of sin, of spiritual death, of spiritual darkness. When we sin, we thicken this cloud around us which prohibits the Holy Ghost from entering, not because he doesn't want to, but because he cannot reside in unholy, darkness filled temples. There is forever a small light inside the darkness, the light of Christ, but as we sin, we put more and more darkness between us and God and we dim that light of Christ until we can barely recognize it. Aminadab says the way to remove this cloud of darkness is through repentance. Repentance brings light into the darkness and darkness cannot reside where there is light.

So what happens is that these people repent and are eventually encircled by a circle of fire as Nephi and Lehi are and they it says,

They were filled with that joy which is unspeakable and full of glory.

This is the effect of repentance. An unspeakable joy, filled with glory. When we repent and allow that light in, allow the Holy Spirit to work on us, we obtain that protective circle of fire. We receive an
unspeakable joy, a glorious joy, a celestial joy. We feel what it is like to be clean in the sight of God. We feel pure as we are immediately after baptism. Though we constantly sin and cause this cloud of darkness to grow, we can also constantly grow this circle of fire around us and bring in more light. The decision is which we allow to be greater, the light or the darkness. It is up to us.

I hope you all have a great week and do great things today!
Spread love, light, and laughter!
Anziano Benjamin Guthrie

No comments:

Post a Comment